Sony has pushed out a major new software update to the Sony Tablet S in the US, adding a range of new features to the tablet. One of the major new features added is the guest mode, which allows users to create guest profiles for friends, children, family members, etc with the ability to restrict access to specific apps and also set customized wallpaper and icon layout for each user.
Other features added are new new media player apps like WALKMAN, a Small Apps feature that allows you to overlay a few apps on top of another app, and quite a few more.
Here’s the official details of the new features quoted from the Sony Mobile blog:
- New media player applications (WALKMAN®, Album, Movies) – Our media players have been redesigned and offer some useful new features, so definitely check them out.
- New Small Apps – We have added more apps to the Small Apps feature. Now you can overlay a small browser, IR remote, calculator, voice recorder and timer on top of another app. You can also register and use widgets as small apps now.
- New macro functionality on the Remote Control App – We know our IR remote control app is very popular, and we have now made it even better. You can now add six programmable macro keys, which allow the ability to turn on multiple devices, including TV, Blu-ray Disc™ player and audio system, with the touch of one button. For example, you can program sequenced commands such as “Watch TV” or “Play Music.” You can also now choose a different skin for each device so you can easily distinguish between them.
- New widgets, including Topics – You will also notice new large widgets added to the Home Screen. These show more content, including Topics.
- Socialife – Social Feed Reader Cloud has been revamped as Socialife. This social news magazine app helps you discover your favorite news, videos and social networking feeds in one place.
- Watch Now – Make sure you download this app from Google Play™. Watch Now provides an interactive, visual program guide fueled by personal preference and real-time trends from your social media feeds. You can use it to discover new shows based on intelligent recommendations from the app, change the channel with a flick of your finger or share your thoughts on what you are watching via Twitter™, Facebook® or Get Glue.
It’s not often a manufacturer pushes out a major update like this unless it’s an update to a newer version of Android, so be sure to grab the update on your Sony Tablet S to enjoy all the cool new features. That guest mode for one should come in real handy.