Slim Bean is a bare-bones ROM that is very light on resources and very small in size, as it strips all the useless stuff and provides a slim and light pure Android experience, with no bloatware. It doesn’t compromise on bringing you all the nice features of Android 4.1 however, like the smooth and fluid interface, the new Google Search with voice recognition and Google Now information cards, expandable and actionable notifications, smart keyboard, etc.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM. It’s a custom ROM that is under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some things may not work properly and some stock Samsung ROM features will not be available.
Now, let’s see how Slim Bean ROM can be installed on the Infuse 4G.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with AT&T Infuse 4G, model number I997. It’s not compatible with any other device. Do not try this even on the Rogers Infuse 4G. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone. If it’s not I997, please do not attempt this.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Slim Bean ROM on Infuse 4G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Install the UCLB3 firmware on your phone by following the guide → here. This will also install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, which is necessary for installing the ROM. Skip this step if you already have CWM recovery.
- Download Slim Bean ROM. You will need to download the following files:
- Copy the files downloaded in step 3 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Now, turn off your phone, then boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do this, turn the phone off, disconnect USB cable if connected, hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together, release the power button when Samsung logo appears, but continue to hold volume buttons until recovery screen appears, then let go of them.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select items.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the I997.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- If you were previously on a Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich ROM, the phone will reboot twice during installation and then boot into recovery after installation is complete. This is normal. If you are flashing over a previous Jelly Bean ROM, then the install will complete without rebooting.
- If the I997.zip file installation finishes too quickly, like in 5 seconds, repeat step 7 before going to the next step.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Common_2.*.zip file. Confirm installation on next screen.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into Slim Bean ROM.
NOTE: If you want to go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the UCLB3 firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
Installing ROM Addons
To install features such as Google Now (the voice recognition based Google Search app which also provides automatic info like weather, traffic info etc.) or the Face Unlock feature, perform the following steps after Slim Bean ROM has been installed and booted up.
- Download the Google Now and/or Face Unlock package from this link.
- Copy the downloaded file(s) to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into ClockworkMod recovery (the same way you did in step 5 of main guide).
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the Google Now file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- Then repeat step 4 to install the Face Unlock file if you have downloaded that as well to install the face unlock feature.
- Then, go back to main recovery menu and reboot the phone. After it boots up, you’ll be able to use Google Now and Face Unlock.
Slim Bean ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Infuse 4G. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
A few other Jelly Bean custom ROMs for the Infuse 4G can be found → here.