Samsung, the maker of the current slimmest tablet, Tab 10.1, has just blown the tablet thickness measurements — and other standard tablet features — again with the announcement of Tab 7.7 at the ongoing show IFA. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 has been named after its diagonal width of 7.7 inches, but its most exciting feature is its thickness, of just 7.89 mm — which is very very slim. The 7.89 mm of thickness not only makes it a slimmest tablet but also a the slimmest smart gadget in the world. [Read the update at bottom of this post to know more about the slimmest tablet right now, which isn’t Tab 7.7. Not anymore!!]
But that’s not all, the Galaxy Tab Specifications list also got super gorgeous, world’s best, Super AMOLED Plus display, which Sammy uses on its flagship phone, the Galaxy S2. But if you thought your surprise show is over, here are other tidbits that sound as mind blowing as they, in fact, are: Weight – 335 gms, RAM – 8 Gb LPDDR2 (that’s 1 GB), Internal Storage – 16/32/64 GB movi NAND, Micro SD card support for up to 32 GB, etc. Not to forget 1.4 GHz dual-core processor and latest Android OS, 3.2, Honeycomb.
We know all this sounds ultra-cool. So, let’s dig up the whole spec-sheet.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Specifications
- 1.4 GHz dual-core processor: We don’t know whether it’s the Exynos chip — one that is currently world’s best processor, powering the Galaxy S2 — or a chip from Qualcomm or Texas Instrument, but 2 cores at 1.4 GHz clock rate are cool, current and should be firing.
- 7.7 inch Super AMOLED Plus Display: The best display so far on tablets — android or not — was TFT, featured on Samsung’s own Galaxy Tab 10.1. Super AMOLED display was available only on Galaxy S2 android phones, but it looks like Samsung has finally found a way to bring its gorgeous display to bigger screens, too, which is really really incredible. Tablet’s size, diagonally, is 7.7 inches, which is okay. The downside will be shorter screen real estate while browsing and watching videos and movies, but this should also improve on portability. We’re fans of 10 inch screen, but looks like Samsung is still digging in hard to make Super AMOLED display work on even bigger 10 inch or so screens.
- Android OS version 3.2, Honeycomb: Even though Honeycomb is the latest and greatest version of Android, and is really superb, it still fails to excite us here, amid all these shiny new specs we’re witnessing on the Galaxy Tab 7.7.
- Display resolution of 1280 x 800 with 16:10 ratio: This is very cool, too. 16:10 ratio means videos would play full-screen nicely and 1280×800 res translates into high DPI number, for very good clarity. Win-win!
- 8 Gb RAM: Translating from bits (b) to Bytes (B), it’s 1 GB RAM, which is the current standard today, and is just fine. We’re glad the company did not compromise it with reduced size and form factor.
- 16/32/64 GB movi NAND memory”: This is tablet’s internal storage, of very good quality. It also indicates that the Tab 7.7 may come out in 3 versions, each differentiating with other on the basis of storage capacity. Plus, there is a support for micro SD card, of up to 32 GB capacity.
- 3 megapixel Auto Focus Camera in the back while 2 megapixel unit on the front: This is okay for tablets. One could ask for 5 MP cam in the back, but you really don’t find the camera too useful with tablets.
- Weight – 335 gms: Well, this will be lightest tablet, lighter by far margins than tablets of today, where Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the lightest and still weighs around 600 gms. With tablets, weight is weight is big feature, and Tab 7.7 scores brilliantly here.
- Measurement: 196.7 x 133 x 7.89 mm: The thickness is simply unbelievable. It’s better than dream-come-true! World’s slimmest smart gadget, hands down! Current best is Galaxy Tab 10.1 at 8.6 mm.
- 5100 mAh battery: That’s the only feature here that sounds just normal, right?
So, that was the specifications list of the upcoming super tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. We could not have dreamed of a better tablet than this. Most of the specs are record-breaking and the tablet itself is better than what we could’ve wished for this year or early next year. Sure, a tablet like this would’ve come sometime in future but Samsung has brought this to us at least 8-9 months in advance — Samsung’s really pushing the hardware solidly and we can’t think of other gadget makers catch with Samsung soon, at least the HTC, which still fancy bulky thick phones and tablets in this modern age. Let’s hope Motorola and LG provide some exciting competition to current leader, Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Release Date
No info available for now.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Price
Not known yet.
So, all in all, this is the slimmest, lightest, brightest and perhaps the fastest android tablet we’ve heard of. Let’s pray, beg and hope it launches everywhere soon.
We’ll be sure to fill you up with the Price and Launch Dates as and when we hear of them. Till then, drool over the awesome-est spec-sheet, so far, again.
UPDATE: Well, Tab 7.7 isn’t the world’s slimmest tablet, or gadget, for now. It’s the Toshiba Excite, which is just 7.7 mm thick, announced at the IFA event, only hours later Tab 7.7 was announced.