This is the root hack for Galaxy S i9000 users who are using the Android 2.3.3 Firmware, XXJVO. those who want, can install XXJVO on their Galaxy S using this guide. Credits for this hack go to its developer, Chainfire, the same guy who brought us incredible root methods for earlier ROMs too.
But, Info and Warnings first![info]This guide is applicable only for Samsung’s Galaxy S international version (i9000). If yours is Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate/Epic 4G or any other Galaxy S variant, then this ROM — and Guide — is not for you, and that’s for definite.[/info] Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won�t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
MAKE SURE YOUR GALAXY S IS RUNNING XXJVO FIRMWARE (Check this in settings – ‘about phone’)
Step by Step Guide to ROOT XXJVO:
- Download CF-Root kernel. File name – CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVO-v3.2-CWM3RFS.zip. Download Link. [Size – 6.70 MB]
- Unzip the above file. You will get a .tar file – “CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVO-v3.2-CWM3RFS.tar”. This file is what you are going to use to gain root access on your XXJVO firmware. We will be flashing this .tar file using ODIN to gain root access and install the ClockworkMod Recovery (as tweaked by Chainfire) alongside.
- Download Odin. File name – Odin3 v1.7. Download Link. Extract the zip file to get Odin3 1.7.exe. Run Odin now by double clicking on the extracted .exe file.
- Switch Off your phone. Wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Boot your phone in Download Mode — Press and hold “VolumeDOWN + HOME key + POWER button” together.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You’ll notice “Added! !” message in the Odin’s message box.
- On Odin, click the “PDA” box and select the .tar file you extracted in step 2 — CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVO-v3.2-CWM3RFS.tar
- Do NOT select any “.pit” file in the “PIT” box, and make sure “Repartition” button is NOT checked.
- Leave the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” buttons checked.
- Double check Steps 7, 8 & 9.(Check the screenshot at the top, your Odin’ screen should look like this only, except for the file name).
- Click the Start button on Odin to begin installing the CF Root kernel.
- After the CF Root is installed, phone will restart.
- Your phone is rooted now. Note that surperuser app is there.
Video guide: Well, this is not exactly for the XXJVO users. This video guide was made to root XWJVB firmware but since the procedure remains ditto (except for the required file), you can check out this video to see it happening before actually trying it out yourself. The screenshot above has also been taken from JVB, but the applies to XXJVO as well. It’s useful if you’re not quite used with Odin.[youtube video_id=”JWS34zCpsig” width=”630″ height=”400″ /]
ClockworkMod [CWM] Recovery:
To boot into ClockworkMod Recovery — power Off your phone completely and then, press and hold (till Galaxy S logo appears): VolumeUP+HOME+POWER. You’ll enter the CWM recovery. You can use this to:
- Backup your ROMs
- Restore backed up ROMs
- Delete Backups
- Flash update.zip files
- Flash custom themes
- Flash kernels (zImage, zImage in TAR, zImage in ZIP, zImage in TAR in ZIP)
CF-Root kernel was created by XDA dev Chainfire, you can visit his original post here. And if you feel like supporting him, use donate button below:[button link=”http://forum.xda-developers.com/donatetome.php?u=631273″ icon=”” style=””]Donate Chainfire[/button]
So that’s it. You can use the comment box below to share your happiness – and problems, which we hope aren’t much here.