PHILZ RECOVERY INFO
|Version||6.07.9 based on CWM 6.x|
|Compatibility||Fully functional with Android 4.4.x and below|
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page!
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be SCH-I535!
Please know that this page is meant only for Verizon Galaxy S3 model no. SCH-I535. Please DO NOT try the procedures given here on other variants of the S3: GT-I9300/GT-I9305, or the S3 sets at Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, AT&T and others who have different model no.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN..
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to flash Philz Recovery on your Verizon Galaxy S3 in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on sd card, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
INSTALL GALAXY S3 DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully flash Philz on your Verizon Galaxy S3. In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your Galaxy S3 on your computer.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICES
If your android device, or PC, powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure both of them are adequately charged and that no power interruption takes place when the process is undergoing — at least 50% battery of the device and laptop is what we would recommend.
OTHER THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF:
└ Use original USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
└ Do not use the procedures given below on Mac (using VMWare) as it works best on proper Windows PC only.
If you haven’t used Odin software to flash a recovery on a Samsung galaxy device before, we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Btw, the video below shows installing CWM (Not Philz) on Samsung Galaxy S3, but as the process is exactly same, it doesn’t matter.
GUIDE: PHILZ RECOVERY ON VERIZON GALAXY S3 SCH-I535
Download the Odin zip AND Philz Recovery tar file given below. Save these files in a separate folder on your computer (just to keep things tidy, that is).
ODIN ZIP FILE
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip (951 KB)
PHILZ RECOVERY TAR FILE
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: philz_touch_6.07.9-d2vzw.tar.md5 (7.24 MB)
Once you’ve finished downloading the file given in downloads section above, follow the instructions below for installing Philz recovery on your Verizon Galaxy S3.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation arises requiring you to do a factory reset after flashing Philz recovery, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on PC.
- Extract/Unzip the Odin zip file, Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip on your computer (using 7-zip free software, preferably) to get this file: Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Move the Philz file in the same folder in which you extracted Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip (Just for your convenience, that is). So, now you’ll have the following files in that folder:
- Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Disconnect the Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 from PC if it is connected.
- Double-click the Odin3 v3.09.exe file to open Odin.
- Boot your Galaxy S3 into Download Mode (The image below of Galaxy Note 2 would help):
- Connect Galaxy S3 to PC. Odin window will show an Added!! message in bottom left box. Odin’s screen would look like this:
If you don’t get the Added! message, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure you have installed driver for Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 as said above in ‘Before you begin..’ section.
- If you have already installed driver, then uninstall them and reinstall back.
- Connect using a different USB port on your PC.
- Try a different USB cable. The original cable that came with your phone should work best, if not, try any other cable that’s new and of good quality.
- Reboot phone and PC and then try again.
- Load the recovery file (extracted in Step 1) into Odin as instructed below:
- Now in the Option section of Odin, make sure that Re-Partition box is unchecked. (Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes remain checked, while all other boxes remain unchecked.)
- Double check the above two steps.
- Click the Start button to begin flashing Philz recovery on your Galaxy S3, and wait until you see a PASS! message in Odin’s top left box.
- When you get PASS! message, your phone will restart automatically. You can then disconnect your phone from PC.
- Philz Recovery has installed successfully on your S3. To boot your S3 into Recovery Mode:
- Power off your phone first and wait for 6-7 seconds after display is off.
- Press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up + Power + Home.
If you see FAIL message instead of the PASS in Odin’s top left box, that’s a problem. Try this now: disconnect your Galaxy S3 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
Also, If device is Stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then too, try this: disconnect your Galaxy S3 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
That’s all. If you need help regarding this, feel free to ask us in comments below.
Install Philz Touch CWM Recovery using your current CWM/TWRP Recovery
If you have already got any of the CWM or TWRP recovery already installed and running on your Verizon Galaxy S3, then just download the .zip file of the Philz Touch CWM recovery from the link below and install it using the recovery’s Install option after transferring it to phone from PC.
It was easy to get Philz Recovery on your Verizon Galaxy S3, right? Let us know how you plan to use it.
Your suggestions, and queries if any, are most welcomed!