OnePlus is rolling out a new open beta update for its OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T handsets. Identified as Open beta 17 for the OnePlus 5 and open beta 15 for the OnePlus 5T, the highlight feature of the update is bringing portrait mode to the front camera of the device.
But that’s not all. In fact, the update does carry a pretty hefty changelog, with lots of bug fixes and optimizations here and there, including the August security patch.
Here’s a full changelog from the OnePlus itself for open beta 17 and open beta 15 update:
- Added Toast message source for Toast messages sent by background apps
- Added description about sleep standby optimization when the function is turned on for the first time
- Optimized background power consumption control
- Fixed call recording issue in India
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.8
- Added portrait mode for the front camera
Gaming mode 3.0
- Added call suspension notification
- Added text notification mode
- UI and interaction optimization
- Hourly weather forecast
- 8 units of meteorological data including precipitation probability and Perceived temperature
- Improved weather data accuracy
- New OxygenOS UI
- Optimized process for sharing notes as an image
- UI optimization
To install the latest open beta update easily via OTA, you have to already on the open beta build. In that case, simply check for the update under Settings. If not, then you have to download the full open beta update and install it manually, which is also easy. Check out this firmware page for the OnePlus 5 and 5T to get help with this.
If you rock either of the OnePlus 5 and 5T and are a game for open beta updates, do let us know how cool is the portrait mode on the front camera of these devices after the update.
Android 9 Pie rollout
Of course, the above updates are based on Android 8.0 Oreo, but OnePlus has promised to release the latest OS in Android 9 Pie (new features) is being prepared for the OnePlus 5 and 5T too, sometime in Q4 2018.
The rollout of Pie update should begin with OnePlus 6 BTW, but with the company also being whispered to release a OnePlus 6T in next few months, we might see the latter come with Android 9 update pre-installed.