The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 may never see Android 8.0 Oreo update coming to it officially from the Chinese manufacturer. But that doesn’t mean the device isn’t capable of running the latest and greatest version of Android.
Thanks to jhenrique09 over at XDA, you can now install Android 8.0 Oreo on Redmi Note 3 through an AOSP based custom ROM. Google pushed Android 8.0 source code to Android Open Source Project (AOSP) on the day it released Oreo update to supported Pixel and Nexus devices, which made it easier for third-party developers to build custom ROMs based on Android 8.0 Oreo for a variety of Android devices.
For an initial release, the Redmi Note 3 Oreo ROM is surprisingly well functioning with almost everything working except for Hotspot, USB tether and VoLTE. The ROM even comes with extra features such as Pixel launcher, Pixel theme, in-built Gapps (yes, you don’t need to flash Gapps separately for this ROM) and backlight on hardware keys. Also note that Bluetooth and FM radio are buggy and may fail at times.
- Android 8.0 AOSP ROM: Download link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install a custom ROM.
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo ROM on Redmi Note 3
- Download and transfer the AOSP ROM zip file that you downloaded above to your Redmi Note 3.
- Boot your Redmi Note 3 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the AOSP ROM .zip file that you transferred to your Redmi Note 3 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Reboot your Redmi Note 3.
That’s all there is to it. Android 8.0 Oreo is now installed on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.