Monopoly is the hit board game by Hasbro. This game has stood the test of time. Licensed in 1936, this game has been testing people’s patience and friendships too, for 84 years! You are sure to have played this game at some point in your life, and chances are you have left the game in a huff. This game is long, and you need the patience to get through it. But the rewards just keep getting bigger the longer you play it.
With everyone in social isolation right now, we are craving a bite of our old favorite game. Is there a way to play Monopoly on Zoom? Let’s find out in the article below.
Can you play Monopoly online?
This is the big question, isn’t it? And it turns out that you can play monopoly in multiplayer online! Although, as is to be expected, the game does lose some of its charm since you cannot hold the money or the cards in your hand, it isn’t all that bad. If you aren’t stuck on the name, there are a bunch of monopoly alternatives that allow you to play the game with the names changed.
One of the best monopoly alternatives is Rento. They have a windows client, android app, and even a web player for your browser. We will talk more about that in the next section.
Where to play Monopoly Online
As mentioned earlier, monopoly alternatives abound the internet, but if you are looking for the original game, Pogo.com offers a good one. This website is one of the few that allow you to play it with your friends.
How to play on Pogo
Step 1: Head to Pogo.com. Once the page has loaded, click Start Game.
Step 2: You need to create an ID to play with friends. Click on the sign up button at the top, and create your Pogo account. Each player must create an account in order to play.
Note: Pogo is tied up with EA Games. So if you have an EA account, you can use that to sign in.
Step 3: Once in the game, you will see a dialog box with a URL to send as an invite.
Step 4: Copy the URL and send it to your friends. They simply have to paste the URL in their browser, and they will be redirected to join your game.
How to play on Rento
Step 1: Visit the Rento website, and scroll to the bottom. Here you will find different download options for different consoles. Or simply click on the corresponding links below:
Step 2: Select Play online > Create Room. Here you can choose the number of players as well as other settings for the game.
Step 3: Once the room is created, click the Invite Friends tab at the bottom to send invites via Whatsapp. Your friends simply have to click on the link to get connected to your room.
Can you play the Monopoly board game over Zoom?
Ok, this is a tough one. Complicated as it may be, the answer is YES. With a few tweaks and adjustments and a lot of paper chits, you can comfortably play the board game online. Read on to learn how.
What do you need to play Monopoly on Zoom
- One player must have the Monopoly board game
- Each player needs multiple chits of paper
- 2 dices (for each player, optional but encouraged)
- Calculator (optional)
How to play Monopoly board game on Zoom video call
Let’s get into it. Once you have collected the essentials mentioned above, follow this guide to play Monopoly over your Zoom call.
Step 1: To ‘distribute’ the money, each player simply writes down the starting figure on a piece of paper. This paper will act as the players’ account statement.
Step 2: The host sets up the game board in front of his/her webcam so that the game is clearly visible to everyone on the call.
Step 3: Each player focuses their camera on their dice, and rolls them. The host then moves their corresponding pieces accordingly.
Step 4: Buying property: When a player lands on a property, the host reads out the property information. The player notes down this information on separate chits. Alternatively, the host may click a picture of the card and send it to the player.
Step 5: Buying property: When the player purchases a property, they subtract the amount from their account statement. Similarly, then they have to collect money from the bank, they add it to their account.
Step 6: When one player owes another player an amount, they subtract it from their account, and the receiving player correspondingly adds it.
Rules for monopoly
- One person is designated the Banker for the game. The banker manages money, property, and hotels. At the start of the game, each player receives $1500. This is broken up in the following way: $500×2 , $100×2 , $50×2 , $20×6 , $10×5 , $5×5 , $1×5.
- Each player selects a token to represent themselves on the board.
- Beginning with the banker, each player rolls the dice. The player with the highest number starts the game. The rest of the players follow in a clockwise direction.
- When a player lands on a property, they may choose to purchase it. Each property has a different market value. Once purchased, any player that lands on another players’ property must pay them the corresponding rent.
- If a player lands on a community chest or chance slot, they must draw the respective card.
- If a player lands in jail, they must miss a turn.
- Every time a player passes GO, they must collect $200 from the bank.
- The aim of the game is to bankrupt all the other players. The winner is the last person standing.
This game brings back a sense of nostalgia. We hope you give this a shot. Give us a shout out and tell us how your game went in the comments below.