The Oppo R15 started selling in China a few days ago. The phone borrows some of its design cues from the iPhone X, but other than the notch, another of Oppo’s starring features was ColorOS 5.0 based on Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box.
There aren’t so many devices you’ll find with this OS on the market right now and this makes the Oppo R15 a little bit unique. However, Oppo doesn’t want to limit the goodies of Android 8.1 Oreo to the new boys. As of this writing, those using the older Oppo R11s and R11s Plus can officially join the beta program and grab the latest ColorOS 5.0.
How to install ColorOS 5.0 on Oppo R11s and R11s Plus
Oppo warns that when you update to the latest ColorOS 5.0, WeChat data will be lost and as such, you’ll have to login afresh. Also, make sure you update all apps to the latest version before upgrading to Oreo 8.1 for compatibility reasons.
If you are already using beta software on your Oppo R11s or R11s Plus, simply head to the Settings menu and tap on Software update to get the latest ColorOS 5.0. However, if you are using the stable version and would like to join the beta program on Android 8.1 Oreo, follow the steps below:
- Upgrade your Oppo R11s or R11s Plus to the latest official version available
- Install Oppo R11s/R11s Plus beta upgrade APK
- Open the installed app and on the screen that opens, tap on “ColorOS upgrade” to join the beta upgrade plan
- In the Settings menu, tap on System update to download and install the latest ColorOS 5.0.
It’s worth noting that Oppo has only pushed the new ColorOS 5.0 beta to the R11s and R11s Plus. The company says that the T versions of these two handsets are not supported. On the brighter side, an XDA forums member says the beta also works perfectly on the older Oppo R11 and R11 Plus.
How to install ColorOS 5.0 on Oppo R11 and R11 Plus
According to XDA, the new ColorOS 5.0 beta also works on Oppo R11 and R11 Plus. The phone uses the same chipset as the R11s and R11s Plus, only that the design language is different. Since Oppo says the APK provided only works with the R11s and R11s Plus, the XDA member has provided a link to another APK file that should work perfectly.
Here’s how to install Android 8.1 Oreo on your R11 or R11 Plus:
- Download APK file here.
- Launch the app and on the screen that opens, tap the green button with Chinese text four times
- In the Settings menu, tap on Software updates and ColorOS 5.0 will be downloaded and installed on your Oppo R11 or R11 Plus.
In case you need any help, you can keep an eye on this XDA thread, but be sure to let us know if it works for your device.