It’s MIUI 4 season, surely! And the latest device to have gotten a taste of MIUI 4 or MIUI Ice Cream Sandwich is the Motorola Triumph, thanks to developer Austrie from AndroidForums. With its sleek and elegant UI, powered by ICS running underneath, MIUI4 is definitely a worthy addition to the list of custom ROMs available for this device.
MIUI4 is an unofficial port, and is currently an Alpha release, which as you all know, means that the presence of bugs shouldn’t come as a surprise. Besides, MIUI4, even the official version is not completely stable yet, but what that means is that bug fixes that are developed for official MIUI, could also be ported over to the unofficial ports. Let’s have a quick look at the known issues, quoted from the developer’s thread:
All Apps Included In ROM (Little Force Closes)
Soft Keys(Except Home Key Doesn’t Bring Up ‘Recent Apps’)
What doesn’t work:
Everything That Is NOT Listed As Working
As you can see above, this is by no means ready for daily usage, but one can definitely try it out to give their device a teaser taste.
The methods and procedures mentioned to perform this process are considered risky; hence we advise you to only go ahead with it if you are confident of and know exactly what you are doing. We (or the developer) are not liable for any damage caused to you or your device, during the course of attempting this process. You have been forewarned!!!
This firmware is meant only and only for the Motorola Triumph from Virgin USA. This is not intended for and won’t work on any other device. Attempting to try this on a device other than the Triumph may result in an unusable device. Please check your device model in Settings–>About Phone
→ MIUI v4 ICS FileName: MIUI-V4_Port-V0.1.0_By_Austrie.zip | Size: 129.18 MB
- Rooted Motorola Triumph with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. You can use this guide to install CWM on a rooted Triumph.
- Fully Charged Battery
- Back up all your personal data. You can use this excellent Android Backup Guide as reference
How To Install MIUI 4 ICS on the Motorola Triumph
- Download the MIUI v4 ICS ROM file to your PC
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of your phone’s SD card
- Turn off the phone and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery (After phone is completely powered off, Hold down the Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until the phone vibrates)
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery later, if the need arises. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Now Perform a full Wipe
- Wipe data / factory reset –> Yes– Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- Wipe Cache Partition –> Yes– Wipe cache partition on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache–>Yes– Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Next select Mounts & Storage from the Main Menu. Then on the next screen select Mount System.
- Now in the options, scroll to Wipe System, and on the next screen select Yes-Wipe System
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file MIUI-V4_Port-V0.1.0_By_Austrie.zip on the sdcard (from step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install “MIUI-V4_Port-V0.1.0_By_Austrie.zip”. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up. You will be stu ock on the Boot animation screen for at least 10 minutes. This is normal, so do not panic.
- Once the phone has booted up, You’re done!! Enjoy the MIUI4 ICS Alpha Preview on your Motorola Triumph.
So go ahead and get a taste of this. To check for updates, fixes, and other details, you can visit the original development page to find out more about the ROM. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.