Google Hangouts and Chat have grown exponentially since everybody started working from home. Both these services provide a great professional environment to communicate with your colleagues as well as employees. You can also use them to get in touch with your loved ones through these apps which make them a perfect alternative to everyday instant messengers.
Just like your most common messengers, Hangouts and the Chat app allow you to block unwanted calls and contacts to maintain your privacy. Let’s take a look at how you can do this on your device.
Note: When you block someone in Google Chat, they are automatically blocked in Google Hangouts and vice versa.
How to block someone in Google Chat app
Google’s new offering for GSuite users, is the Chat app that allows you to converse with everyone in your organization. Additionally, you can also invite non-Gsuite users to the Chat app if you have an enterprise account. Let’s take a look at how you can block a contact in the new Google Chat app.
On Mobile (Android and iOS)
Open the Google Chat app on your mobile device and tap on the conversation with the contact that you wish to block.
Now tap on the contact’s name at the top of your screen.
Tap on ‘Block’.
Finally, tap on ‘Block’ to confirm your choice.
Note: Check the box for ‘Also report’ in case you wish to report the contact to Google.
And that’s it! The concerned contact should now be blocked on the Google Chats app on your mobile device.
Visit chat.google.com on your browser on your PC. Now find the contact that you wish to block in your left sidebar and click on the ‘3-dot’ menu icon beside the contact.
Click on ‘Block & Report’.
Click on ‘Block’ again to confirm your choice.
Note: Check the box for ‘Also report’ if you wish to report the contact to Google. This helps Google identify spam contacts as well as phishing agents.
And that’s it! The selected contact should now be blocked on the Google chats app.
What happens when you block someone in the Google Chat app?
Just like Hangouts, blocking someone in the Chats app affects other services associated with your current Google account as well. Let’s take a look at some of the changes you should keep in mind when blocking someone on the Google chats app.
- If the person is a part of your GSuite organization then they can still view your activity status and if and when you are online.
- If the blocked person tries to message you, then they will be notified that you have blocked them.
- When you block someone in the Chat app, they will also be blocked in Hangouts, Google Photos, Google Maps, and Google +.
- Your last 10 messages with the concerned contact are sent to Google if you check the box for ‘Also report’ when blocking someone.
- The blocked person will still be able to access attachments shared by you previously in the conversation (if any).
How to block someone in Hangouts
Blocking someone in Hangouts is a fairly simple process as long as the contact has messaged or called you within the service. However, if you wish to block someone using their email, then you will have to add them as a contact first before you can proceed to block them using the guides below. Let’s take a quick look at the procedure.
On Mobile (Android and iOS)
Open Hangouts and open the conversation with the contact that you wish to block.
Now tap the ‘3-dot’ menu icon in the top left corner.
Tap and select ‘People’.
Now tap on the contact’s name again.
Tap and select ‘Block’.
Tap on Block again to confirm your choice.
And that’s it! The concerned contact should now be blocked for your Hangouts account. This change will affect all your devices using Hangouts.
Open Hangouts in your desktop browser and then click on the conversation in the left sidebar.
Once the conversation is open, click on the ‘Gear’ icon at the top to access settings.
Now click on ‘Block & Report’.
Note: Check the box for ‘Also Report’ in case you wish to report the contact to Google.
Click on ‘Confirm’ to confirm your choice.
And that’s it! The concerned contact should now be blocked on Hangouts.
What happens when you block someone in Hangouts?
Blocking a contact in Hangouts affects your entire Google account. Hence here are a few changes you should keep in mind when blocking someone in Hangouts.
- If you have a Google Voice number, then the contact will also be blocked for Google Voice.
- The contact will also be blocked from Google+, Google Photos, and Google chat automatically for the current Google Account.
- The conversation will still be available in your Hangouts chat until you manually delete it.
- The person will still be able to join your Hangout groups where you will be able to view their messages.
- The blocked person won’t be able to join a hangouts call that you are currently a part of, however, they will be notified that someone has blocked them. Your identity, however, will not be revealed.
I hope you were able to easily block someone in Hangouts and Google chat using the guides above. If you face any issues, feel free to drop us a comment below.