Samsung sure seems to be gearing up for the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for its current top handsets, and leaks are keeping impatient users as well as the developer community busy. Earlier this week, we told you about some information that had cropped up on Sprint’s RDF page about an Android 4.0.3 update that was in the works.
ACS developer & Head Chef Shabbypenguin seems to have somehow gotten his hands on a leaked build of the FB09 official Android 4.0 ICS firmware for the Epic Touch 4G, and has tweaked, deodexed, rooted and packaged it into one sweet zip file which you can flash through Clockworkmod Recovery on your Epic 4G Touch. So without wasting any more time on banter, let’s get right on to how we can get this baby home.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. We won’t be held liable for any damage that may occur to your device — you only will be responsible, you’ve been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Sprint Epic Touch 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on Epic Touch 4G and not any other device. Check your device model by going to Settings » About Phone
- Rooted Epic ouch 4G with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How To Install Leaked FB09 Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware
- Download the FB09 ROM files to your PC, from the original development thread.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of SD card on the phone
- Power off the phone & reboot to Clockworkmod Recovery (Hold Volume Up+ Home + Power together till you see the Galaxy S2 logo)
- [Optional] Perform a full Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this Rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » then on the next screen, select Backup again.
- Next Select “Wipe data / factory reset” → confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen (will not erase your SD card, so don’t worry)
- Now Select Wipe Cache partition, and then select Yes – Wipe Cache on the next screen.
- Now from the main menu, Select Advanced, and then select Wipe Dalvik cache. On the next screen select Yes – Wipe Dalvik
- Now, select “Go back” to return to the main recovery menu. Scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Next Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the zip file you transferred to the sdcard in Step 2 and select it. Now confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_FB09.zip. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back”, and then “Reboot System”
- During the boot up, it is likely to get stuck at the 4G screen. At this point, just pull your battery, re-insert it, and reboot into stock recovery (Hold Volume Up+ Home + Power together till you see the Galaxy S2 logo)
- You should now boot into the default Ice Cream Sandwich recovery. Select Wipe data/Factory reset, and confirm Wipe data on the next screen
- Select Go Back and Reboot system
- Now during this reboot too, the phone might get stuck again on the 4G screen. So in case it does, pull the battery again, reinsert it, and power on the phone. It should boot into FB09 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware this time
- That’s it!! You should now be running FB09 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Epic Touch 4G.
You may also want to have a look at this excellent video guide:[youtube video_id=”l4hIug-m97w” width=”620″ height=”400″ /]
Go ahead and update your phone to the latest ICS firmware, and tell us about your experience in comments below. Don’t forget to tell your friends on Facebook and Twitter where you read this first.