The original Nexus 5 was a dearly loved device for a long time. With its affordable price tag and top notch hardware, it was an Android fanboy’s dream. That dream was brought was brought back to life with the Nexus 5X. Going by the same philosophy of the Nexus 5, the Nexus 5X gained its well deserved respect.
Sadly, as you might well know, Google has killed off the Nexus line with the launch of the Pixel smartphones, much to the dismay of many developers and fans out there. Setting that aside, the 5X was already a great smartphone and with Lineage OS 14.1 out for the device it gets even better.
Read: Nexus 5X Nougat Update
If you’re here reading this now, you must already be familiar with rooting and flashing other ROMs. If you’re not, you might as well start now, for the Nexus 5X is pure power in your hands.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Nexus 5X Lineage OS
- Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link
- Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on Nexus 5X
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Nexus 5X .
- Boot your Nexus 5X into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Nexus 5X in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- If you want root for apps, download and flash the root addon zip file as well.
- Once you’re done flashing all required files, reboot your Nexus 5X .
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your Nexus 5X .