The Motorola Moto G4 Play is a fork of the fourth generation of Motorola’s G line of smartphones. Under the hood the Moto G4 Play features a 5-inch 720p display, 2GB of RAM, the Snapdragon 410 and a 2800mAh juice pack. Compared to the original Moto G4 and G4 Plus, the Play variant seems to be a slightly bumped version of the previous gen Moto G.
The Moto G4 Play was the first of the few Motorola devices to begin to get Lenovo’s design touch and shipped with Marshmallow out of the box. The device is expected to get Nougat soon but why wait for that. Go ahead and try Nougat based Lineage OS 14.1 which has a lot more bells and whistles to play with.
With Lineage OS you can bring more out of the limited hardware that comes with the device. As a bonus, the custom ROM will let you customize your device more than what stock Android allows.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Motorola Moto G4 Play Lineage OS
Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Codename: harpia)
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on Moto G4 Play
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Moto G4 Play .
- Boot your Moto G4 Play into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto G4 Play in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your Moto G4 Play .
That’s it! Lineage OS is now installed on your Motorola Moto G4 Play .