The Motorola Atrix 4G has received a new Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 based custom ROM, named Codename Android. Codename Android (CNA) is an Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ROM that brings fast performance and amazing customization options and has been making its way onto quite a lot of devices lately. The Atrix 4G is the latest phone to join the party.
Codename Android ROM for the Atrix 4G is currently in the alpha stage, and since the developer doesn’t actually have an Atrix 4G himself, updates will take time as other people test it for him. The ROM is not suitable for everyday usage as yet. So expect bugs to show up here and there as is always the case with alpha releases.
Read on to find out how to flash Codename Android ROM on your Atrix 4G.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Motorola Atrix 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → SavagedZen
- Rooted Motorola Atrix 4G with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. You can use this guide.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks,contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install CNA ROM on Atrix 4G
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Download the Google Apps package (this is required since the ROM itself doesn’t contain Google apps like Market, Talk, etc).
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-404-020516.zip
- Transfer the zip files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to the root of the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off your phone and wait for complete shutdown.
- Then, boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Now, perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD card). Wait for wipe to complete.
- Select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. Then, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Scroll to the ROM file you transferred in step 3 and select it. Select “Yes – Install*rom_name*.zip” on the next screen to confirm installation.
- After the ROM finishes installing, again select “choose zip from sdcard”, then scroll to the Google apps package file you downloaded in step 2. Select “Yes – Install gapps-ics-404-020516.zip” on the next screen to confirm installation of the Google apps.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
That’s it. Codename Android Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 ROM is now installed on your Motorola Atrix 4G. Follow the development page to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.