Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
GUIDE: CWM RECOVERY INSTALLATION ON VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Before you begin with guide instructions below, make sure your android device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
STEP 0: CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings.Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be SCH-I545!
Do not use the procedures discussed here on any other Galaxy S4 devices (including the S4 devices at Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and the international ones) or any other device of Samsung or any other company. You have been warned!
STEP 1: BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
STEP 2: INSTALL LATEST DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully root your Samsung Galaxy S4.
In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your Samsung device on your computer.
STEP 3: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Download the file given below and transfer it to a separate folder on your phone and remember the location.
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: SCH-I545_CWM_LOKI_v1.1.zip (8.61 MB)
For latest version of the Recovery, check the original page →
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: adb-fastboot-files.rar (465 KB)
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation arises requiring you to do a factory reset after flashing CWM Recovery, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on PC.
- Extract/Unzip the ADB zip file into a folder, you will get the following files:
- Similarly extract the Recovery zip downloaded above in the same folder where the ADB files are extracted. You will get the following files from this zip:
- Prepare your phone:
- Enable developer options: Go to your phone’s Settings » select About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging: Open phone’s Settings » select Developer options » Tick the “USB debugging” check-box (under Debugging section).
- Connect your phone to PC with a USB cable and if a pop-up screen shows up on phone asking you to Allow USB debugging for the computer, make sure you tick the checkbox and tap OK.
- Navigate to the folder where you have extracted the adb and recovery files and hold SHIFT key on your keyboard and RIGHT CLICK and select “Open command window here” (as shown in the below image).
- Lets assume the path where the files are pushed to be /data/local/tmp/ . Type/Paste the below commands inside the command prompt:
adb push recovery.lok /data/local/tmp/
adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/
This will push the recovery files extracted in the PC to the specified location in the phone.
- Now we should enter the ADB shell mode to flash the recovery. For this type/Paste the below commands inside the command prompt:
Now Super User request will be prompted on your screen. Grant the permission for the SuperSu app.
- Use the following commands to flash the recovery. For this type/Paste the below commands inside the command prompt:
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_flash
/data/local/tmp/loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok
This will flash the recovery from the memory location to recovery partition.
- If you have successfully flashed the recovery you should see something similar to this:
[+] Loki validation passed, flashing image. 2253+1 records in 2253+1 records out 9230848 bytes transferred in 0.656 secs (14071414 bytes/sec) [+] Loki flashing complete!
If you see this you have successfully completed flashing the recovery. If you have problem flashing it, repeat the process again.
- Boot into recovery mode. If you’re rooted, the easiest way to boot into recovery mode would be using the QuickBoot app. If not rooted, then follow the instructions below:
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy S4 logo.
└ In Recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate Up and Down between options and use Power button to select an option.
It was easy to flashing CWM Recovery via ADB, right? Let us know how it is to your liking in comments below.
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!