Here’s some more Jelly Bean Android 4.1 fun for the Samsung Galaxy S3, which is enjoying a constant stream of custom ROMs thanks to the high developer interest in Samsung’s latest flagship device. B1ackB3aN ROM is an AOSP Android 4.1 based custom ROM that brings along smooth and fast performance, along with customization features thanks to some inbuilt mods for a great Jelly Bean experience.
Custom unofficial Jelly Bean ROMs for other variants of the Galaxy S3 can be found at the bottom of the article.
Here are some of the mods/features of the ROM:
- Center clock mod/customizable Color
- Customizable battery icons
- BirdsNest: PropModder, a new convient way to edit your build.prop with the flick of a finger!
- Dyanmic Changelog
- Native Overclocking/Undervolting Perfromance Utility
- The Complete System is blacked out
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM. It’s a custom ROM built from pure Android sources and hence will have no TouchWiz-based features found in stock ROMs, and some things may not work the same way they work on stock. There may also be a few bugs present in the ROM.
Continue reading to find out B1ackB3aN ROM can be installed on the Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S3, model number i9300. It’s not compatible with the US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install B1ackB3aN ROM on Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed. If not, use this guide to install it.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card (do not extract them, copy the zip files directly).
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the Gapps package finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into AOKP ROM. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (using the procedure explained in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
B1ackB3aN ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S3. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also try out a few other Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROMs for the Galaxy S3 → here.