There seems to be an increasing number of ROMs based on stock Android coming out for the Galaxy S2. Serendipity is an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 based custom ROM, that provides you an AOSP experience as found on the Galaxy Nexus i.e it has no custom UI or any added bloatware on top. It’s plain and simple vanilla-Android, with no customization done, resulting in a fast and smooth Android 4.0 experience.
Let’s take a look at how you can install Serendipity ROM on your Galaxy S2. Read on…
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → 89luca89
- Wi-Fi direct not working
- TV Out not working
- Blueish color when using camera effects
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Serendipity ROM on Galaxy S2
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
The stock AOSP Serendipity ROM is now installed on your Galaxy S2 with Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 as the OS version. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.