The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based MIUI ROM is here for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, bringing MIUI’s unique interface and features like an intuitive status bar, inbuilt theme engine, its own home-brewed apps such as a home launcher, music, contacts, messages etc, privacy protection through apps like SpamGuard, and further under the hood tweaks.
Powering MIUI is Android 4.1, with its own set of amazing features, such as a smooth and fluid interface, a new Google Search experience with voice recognition and Google Now information cards, actionable and expandable notifications, smart and intelligent keyboard, and many more useful improvements.
However, keep in mind that this is not an official ROM by Samsung. It is a custom ROM under development and may have a few issues in it. Also, it is based on stock Android, so any Samsung-specific features will not be available and a few apps will be different from their original versions (such as the camera or gallery).
Read on to find out how you can install the MIUI ROM on the T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install MIUI ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- [Important!] Install the ClockworkMod (CWM) Touch recovery on the phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Also download the following file:
- Copy the 2 zip files downloaded in steps 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the phone (do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it to a fully working state from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files on the SD card).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- After installation is complete (your phone might reboot in between), select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the ROM file. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into MIUI ROM.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as explained in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
MIUI ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Other Jelly Bean custom ROMs for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 can be found → here.