The last piece of the puzzle is to fall in place soon, as Samsung has announced that the Galaxy S3 on US Cellular will be getting updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean starting December 21st, which will make the rollout of the update complete on every carrier in the US.
The update will be rolling out over the air as well as through Samsung’s Kies software on the desktop, and will bring all the goodies of Jelly Bean that one expects, including a smoother and more responsive interface courtesy of Project Butter enhancements, expandable and actionable notifications, and also Google Now, Google’s virtual assistant app that is designed to provide meaningful info without a user’s intervention.
Samsung will also be bringing their own enhancements to the software, which are listed below.
- Camera Enhancements:
- New live camera and camcorder filters offer a range of new ways to spark your creativity.Warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights(blue, green, red/yellow), and many more are selectable from the main camera screen.
- Pause and resume while recording videoallows users to string together multiple captured video clips from a party, birthday or sporting event into a single file with no post editing required.
- Low light photo mode takes advantage of Galaxy S III’s best-in-class High Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities and offers an optimized mode for low light and indoor photos.
- Pop Up Play Update: Users can now easily resize or pause the Pop Up Play picture-in-picture video window, taking full advantage of the Galaxy S III’s powerful processor and large 4.8-inch screen.
- Easy Mode: Easy Mode is a simplified user experience option for first-time smartphone owners, providing large home screen widgets that focus on the device essentials. The Easy widgets include both 4×2 and 4×4 arrangements of favorite contacts, favorite apps, favorite settings, clock and alarm.
- Blocking Mode: Galaxy S III owners can disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms and LED indicators for a designated period of time.
- Improved Usability: Users now have multiple keyboard options with the addition of the Swype® keyboard.
So there you go, your Galaxy S3 will soon be getting a very useful Christmas present if all goes according to plan, though keep in mind that an update is usually staggered, so you may or may not receive the update on December 21st. More details about the update can be found at the source link.