Calling all Acer Iconia Tab A100 owners! If you were feeling jealous of the Iconia A200 getting an official update to Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0.3 a few days ago, then this news should help in bringing down that jealousy a little. An ICS firmware for the A100 was leaked on XDA and is now accessible to people looking to taste Ice Cream Sandwich on their A100. The firmware seems to run pretty well according to reports, so it could mean that the official release isn’t too far away.
This firwmare is an unofficial leak but we’re pretty sure people will have no qualms in trying it out anyway because frankly, unofficial or official, we like it! Do note that since this is a leaked firmware, bugs and problems are to be expected.
Read on to find out how to flash this firmware on your Iconia Tab A100.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Acer Iconia Tab A100. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- [Optional] This procedure will not wipe your apps, data and settings. But to be on the safe side, backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install ICS Firmware on Iconia Tab A100
- Download the ICS firmware.
Download Link | Filename: Acer_AV041_A100_0.002.00_WW_GEN1.zip
- After downloading the above file, rename the file from Acer_AV041_A100_0.002.00_WW_GEN1.zip to update.zip on your computer.
- After renaming the file, transfer it to the root of your external micro SD card on the A100.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot into recovery by pressing the Power button while holding the Volume Up button till the device boots into recovery, then let it go.
- The flashing procedure will begin automatically.
- After the flashing procedure is complete, the device will reboot itself.
- Wait for a while for the Tab to boot up, then enjoy using Ice Cream Sandwich on your Iconia A100.
So there you have it. Ice Cream Sandwich is up and running on your Iconia Tab A100 and should keep you happy till the official firmware is released. Share your thoughts on the firmware in the comments.