T-Mobile Galaxy S4 TWRP RECOVERY
If you are already desperate to install the Android 4.4 KitKat update, then you are going to need a TWRP recovery for your dear T-Mobile Galaxy S4, model no. SGH-M919.
Because, Samsung will take forever to bring its official OTA update for your device, and you would have to rely on unofficial and even cooler source in the form of custom ROMs, made directly from Google’s AOSP source code of Android 4.4, KitKat. And, in order to install AOSP ROM for your Galaxy S4, you are going to need a custom recovery, thus the need for TWRP recovery.
Apart form installing ROMs, or a .zip flashable file of anything — apps, mods, themes, etc. — you can create a solid and very reliable Nandroid backup with TWRP recovery.
So, let’s see how to install this immensely helpful tool for your Galaxy S4.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page!
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be SGH-M919!
Please know that this page is meant only for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4, model no. SGH-M919. Please DO NOT try the procedures given here on other variants of the Galaxy S4 like GT-I9505, GT-I9500, and other variants from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to install recovery on your S4 in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on SD card, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
INSTALL GALAXY S4 DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully install TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S4 . In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your S4 on your computer.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICES
If your Galaxy S4, or PC, powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure both of them are adequately charged and that no power interruption takes place when the process is undergoing — at least 50% battery of the device and laptop is what we would recommend.
OTHER THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF:
└ Use original USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
└ Do not use the procedures given below on Mac (using VMWare) as it works best on proper Windows PC only.
If you haven’t used Odin software to install a recovery on your device before, we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Btw, it’s not the the video below shows installing the TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S3 (yes, not the S4!). But as the process is exactly same, it doesn’t matter.
T-MOBILE GALAXY S4 TWRP RECOVERY
Download the files given below and save them in a separate folder on your computer (just to keep things tidy, that is).
- TWRP Recovery .tar file: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-jfltetmo.tar | Size: 8.0 MB
(Note: DO NOT EXTRACT this .tar file.)
- Odin v3.09: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: odin3.09.zip | Size: 951 KB
Once you’ve finished downloading the files given in downloads section above, follow the instructions below to root your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Extract/Unzip Odin3.09.zip file on your computer (using 7-zip free software, preferably) to get this file: Odin3 v3.09.exe. (DO NOT extract the recovery’s .tar file.)
- Disconnect the Galaxy S4 from PC if it is connected.
- Double-click the Odin3 v3.09.exe to open Odin.
- Now, boot your Galaxy S4 into Download Mode:
- Power Off your Galaxy S4. Wait for 6-7 seconds after display is off.
- Now, press these 3 keys together until you see Warning! screen: Volume DOWN + Power + Home
- Press Volume Up to continue to Download Mode.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to PC. Odin window will show an Added!! message in bottom left box.
Odin’s screen would look like this:
If you don’t get the Added! message, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure you have installed driver for Galaxy S4 as said above in ‘Before you begin..‘ section.
- If you have already installed driver, then uninstall them and reinstall back.
- Try a different USB cable. The original cable that came with your phone should work best, if not, try any other cable that’s new and of good quality.
- Connect using a different USB port on your PC.
- Reboot phone and PC and then try again.
- Load the TWRP Recovery file. For this, click the AP tab in Files [Download] section on Odin, and select the openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52-jfltetmo.tar file.
- Now in the Option section of Odin, keep only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes checked. Make sure Re-Partition box, and all other boxes, are unchecked.
- Double check the above two steps carefully. You must not make any mistake with the steps above or else you may brick your device.Your Odin’s screen should look like the screenshot below:
- Click the Start button on Odin to start flashing the TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S4, and wait until you see PASS! message on Odin’s top left box.
- When you get PASS! message, your phone will restart automatically. You can then disconnect your phone from PC.
If you see FAIL message instead of the PASS in Odin’s top left box, that a problem. Try this now: disconnect your Galaxy S4 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
Also, If device is Stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then too, try this: disconnect your Galaxy S4 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
That’s all. If you need help regarding with installing TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S4, feel free to ask us in comments below.
It was easy, right? Let us know what you plan to do now, with the TWRP recovery now installed on your Galaxy S4 .
Suggestions are most welcomed!