The latest version of ClockworkMod recovery – a custom recovery used for flashing custom ROMs – is v6.0 which brings improvements such as up to 4-5x faster backup and restores as well as smaller incremental backups. Now, the touch version of ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery 6.0 is available for the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablets, thanks to XDA Forum Member yepitsme19.
While non-touch CWM recovery is available for the Tab 2 10.1, the touch version provides much better navigation and ease of use thanks to the touch-enabled interface, and the guide below will walk you through the steps for flashing ClockworkMod Touch recovery on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (all three variants).
So, continue reading for the installation steps.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, model numbers P5100/P5110/P5113. It’s not compatible with other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110/P5113/P5100
- It’s important you’ve the proper drivers for the phone installed. If you have installed Samsung’s Kies software, you already have the drivers, so download them only if you haven’t installed Kies.
Download links: 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
- Download Odin (used to flash recovery on phone).
Download Odin | Filename: Odin3-v1.85_3.zip
- Extract the Odin3-v1.85_3.zip file downloaded in step 2 to a convenient location on the computer.
- Download the CWM Touch recovery file according to your device’s model number (check in Settings » About), from the development page. The downloaded file will have the .tar extension. Do not extract this file even if it shows up as a compressed file.
Important! In further steps, whenever it says Volume Down button, it means the button next to the POWER button. Whereas Volume Up is the button on the far side of the POWER button i.e. on the right side of the Volume Down button.
In short, Volume Down is the left button while the Volume Up button is the right button.
- Disconnect the tablet from PC (if connected) then turn if off. Then, boot it in download mode by pushing and holding down the Power and Volume UP buttons at the same time. When a yellow triangle shows up on-screen, press Volume Down to enter download mode.
- Open Odin — double-click the Odin3 v1.85.exe that you got after extracting the file Odin3-v1.85_3.zip in step 3.
- Connect your tablet to PC now. You should get the message “Added!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed.
- Now, in ODIN, click the PDA button, and select the file .tar file that you downloaded in step 4. Do not make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file in PDA. Leave all other options as they are.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing the recovery. When the flashing is complete, your tablet will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. What to do if Odin gets stuck: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do the following – disconnect the tablet from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn tablet on in Download mode, and do the procedure again from Step 7.
- ClockworkMod Touch recovery can then be used by booting into recovery by turning off the tablet, then holding down the Power andVolume Down buttons at the same time till the screen turns on, then letting go of the power button but continuing to hold down Volume Down button for a few more seconds till CWM recovery shows up.
ClockworkMod Touch Recovery is now installed on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, which you can use to install custom ROMs with a easy to use touch interface.