After being released on the Samsung Galaxy S, Codename Android now makes it way to it’s T-mobile cousin, the Samsung Vibrant, tanks to XDA member kchau15 who has successfully ported this ROM to the Vibrant. Despite Samsung announcing that these devices won’t be getting the official bump-up to ICS, there have been a variety of ICS or Ice Cream Sandwich based ROMs for the Galaxy S and it’s variants.
Codename Android is another ICS port for the Galaxy S, based on the Codename Android project for the Google Nexus phones which brings you speed, usability and lots of customization options while ensuring you get the performance of the stock Android ROMs as found on Google’s Nexus devices.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant, model number SGH-T959. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Bugs/ Known Issues:
— When booted up, Airplane Mode is on
–Reboot > equal to Reboot into Recovery
–External Sdcard is unreadable (not confirm)
— Cant change 2G/3G Connection (Not Even using *#*#4636#*#*)
–Signals are not shown properly
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- Rooted Vibrant with Clockworkmod Recovery installed
How To Install Codename Android ROM on your Samsung Vibrant
- Download the latest version of the Codename Android ROM and Gapps package from the original development page to your desktop.
- Transfer both the downloaded zip files to the root of your internal SD card on your phone (don’t use microSD card).
- Turn off your Vibrant and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Wipe by selecting “Wipe data / factory reset” → then Select Yes – Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen to confirm. (This will NOT format or erase your SD card contents)
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file you transferred in Step 5 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install CNA-1.4.0-vibrantmtd.zip. The ROM will start installing.
- Once the installation is complete, repeat steps 6 – 8, but this time select the Gapps package- CNA_Gapps_20120220-signed.zip
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone, and enjoy Codename Android Ice Cream Sandwich on your Vibrant.
That’s it! Enjoy Codename Android ROM on your Galaxy S. You can visit the original development thread linked above to check for updates and more details. Let us know about your experience and problems (if any) in comments below.