After T-Mobile, US Cellular was one of the first to get the Android 5.1.1 update for Galaxy S6. However, root wasn’t available for the US Cellular S6 edge on 5.1.1 until now, thanks to djvoleur for having worked out a stock kernel with embedded root.
Developer djvoleur used work of g.lewarne who originally created the UniKernel which is responsible for the rooted Galaxy S6 and S6 edge devices out there running Android 5.1.1.
For your US Cellular S6 edge G925R4, the custom kernel with root is available for download at the link below. Flash it simply via Odin and you’ll be rooted within seconds.
[icon name=”download” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Download stock OF7 kernel with root for US Cellular S6 edge (.tar)
[icon name=”download” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Download Odin 3.10.6
Root US Cellular S6 G925R4 on Android 5.1.1 via custom kernel
- Download the custom kernel for ODIN (.tar) and Odin 3.10.6 from the downloads section above.
- Open Odin 3.10.6 on your PC.
- Disable Factory Reset Protection on your US Cellular S6 edge:
- Open Settings » select About phone » scroll to the bottom and tap on Build number seven times to enable Developer options.
- Now go back to Settings menu and select “Developer options” which should now be visible above “About phone” option.
- Tick the “Enable OEM Unlock” checkbox from developer options menu to disable Factory Reset Protection on the device.
- Boot your S6 edge into Download mode:
- Switch off your tablet.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen.
- Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode.
- Once your S6 edge is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the phone and show an “Added!!” message.
- Now click on the AP button on Odin window and select the 925R4root.tar file that you downloaded above.
└ Note: DON’T play with any other options on the screen. You’re only required to connect your Galaxy S6 and select the KERNEL file in PA tab.
- Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen.
- Your phone will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing.
That’s it. You should have root access now, look for the SuperSU app in your app drawer. Also, download and install this root checker app from Play Store to verify root access.