The owners of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 are up for a treat today. The official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update has been leaked for the device, following the leak of the update for the Galaxy Note 10.1! That’s right, the official Jelly Bean update is apparently in the works at Samsung for the 7″ tablet and the first of those updates has been leaked and is available for manually flashing, so you can get a taste of the official Jelly Bean firmware on your tablet.
“If you have the Galaxy S3, you can try out its leaked Jelly Bean firmware → here. T-Mobile Galaxy S3 can get the leaked official Jelly Bean firmware → here, and Bell Galaxy S3 owners can find it → here.”
As you might already know, Android 4.1 is perhaps the best update to Android yet, bringing with a butter smooth interface and many more features, and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 owners can get a taste of it thanks to the official update. The update has the firmware version DDBLI3, and the guide below will help you install it on your Tab 2 7.0. However, this update is only for the 3G variant of the tablet (model number P3100), so owners of other variants of the Tab 2 7.0 are currently out of luck. You will also need a microSD card inserted in the tablet to be able to install the update.
Keep in mind that this is a leaked pre-release update and has not yet been officially released by Samsung and hence could have some issues and may be unstable for daily use, so you should wait for the official update to come out if you’re not comfortable with trying out pre-release firmware. But if still try it out, you can always flash back to an Android 4.0 firmware later if needed.
So let’s see how the leaked Android 4.1 update can be installed on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
The guide below is compatible only and only with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, model number P3100. It’s not compatible with any other Tab 2 7.0 variant any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install DDBLI1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3100)
- [Important!] You might need to wipe data during this procedure. So makes sure to backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you. Backup all the SD card files, including camera photos, music, etc as well as those also might get erased during the flash as this is a leaked firmware.
- [Important!] Flash the stock DDBLH3 firmware on your tablet by following the guide → here. The update will fail to flash on any other firmware or on custom ROMs, as it needs the tablet to be on the DDBLH3 firmware. Keep in mind that this may require you to wipe data on your tablet, so be sure to make a backup (see step 1).
- Download the Jelly Bean OTA update file.
Download DDBLI1 OTA | Alternate Link
Filename: GT-P3100_P3100DDBLI1-OTA-P3100DDBLH3_INU_309560155.zip | Size: 295 MB
- Copy the GT-P3100_P3100DDBLI1-OTA-P3100DDBLH3_INU_309560155.zip file to the external storage i.e the microSD card on your tablet.
- Turn off the tablet. Then, boot into stock recovery. To do so, hold down Volume Down + Power buttons (the volume down button is the volume key on the left i.e the one next to the power button) together, then when the screen turns on, let go of power button but keep holding the Volume down button for a few more seconds to boot into recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option.
- Select apply update from external storage, then scroll to and select the GT-P3100_P3100DDBLI1-OTA-P3100DDBLH3_INU_309560155.zip file to start installation of the Jelly Bean OTA update.
- After installation is complete, the tablet should reboot automatically. If it does not reboot, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot up into the newly installed Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware.
NOTE: To go back to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, you can install the DDBLH3 firmware by following the guide linked in step 2.
That’s it! The official leaked Jelly Bean Android 4.1 firmware is now running on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Do let us know how it works, and also tell us about new things or any issues that you notice!