After OnePlus barged into the high end smartphone scene and showed off its smartphone killer big time, the OEM wanted to win over a budget audience who couldn’t afford the standalone flagships that OnePlus had. And now the OnePlus X is getting official Lineage OS 14.1.
And with that, was born the OnePlus X. In a way, OnePlus didn’t have to do too much work to design this device, as it was more of a tuned down version of the flagship itself. With a gorgeous 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display, 3GB of RAM and the Snapdragon 801 which initially came with their first ever flagship.
With the custom ROM out for the device, you will be able to go beyond what OxygenOS (or HydrogenOS) gives you. As this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver.
You won’t run into any major issues but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly build over the experimental one. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
OnePlus X (onyx) Lineage OS
Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on OnePlus X
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your OnePlus X.
- Boot your OnePlus X into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your OnePlus X in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps and file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- If you want root for apps, download and flash the root addon zip file as well.
- Once you’re done flashing all required files, reboot your OnePlus X.
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your OnePlus X (onyx).