The SOKP team continues their hard work and the latest device to see its fruits is Moto X 2nd gen. After the team brought smiles in a shape that comes when you device gets unofficial Android 5.1 update on the face of users of Moto E, G and Droid Razr, it’s the X’s turn time around, the boss of current line-up of company’s devices.
We expect the Moto X to receive official Android 5.1 OTA update sooner than the rest of Android devices around the world except for the Nexus sets, so if you can wait for 2-3 weeks, you could very well skip the unofficial 5.1 update here. But if you’re a complete tech freak, and waiting seems like crime when you know you can update right away, well do give it a try– it’s pretty good, too.
You can go back to stock firmware that is installed right now on your device to be able to receive and successfully install the Motorola OTA 5.1 update when it arrives for your X, 2nd gen. What you need is actually a stock recovery, which can be installed separately than firmware too, btw. And you would also have the official stock firmware as custom ROM as an option too, so installing the Motorola’s stock 5.1 update when it comes would be a simple ROM flash away only.
With the SOKP ROM, you get the ROM’s amazing set of customization options and cool features, plus the goodies of Android 5.1 update. DO check out the rich features list at the download page linked under downloads section below. The guide below, after the downloads section will help you through the installation.
Note: This is not an official Motorola Moto X Android 5.1 update, so expect few kinks at some corners of the ROM. Any major bugs will be reported below.
Download the ROM file in .zip format from the source development page here, where you could also keep a tab on current issues with the ROM and fixes, if any, available. Also download the Gapps from here.
- Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen)
- Don’t try on any other device
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Transfer the ROM file package file to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save it.
- You need TWRP recovery for this. Get it from here. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
- Boot into Recovery mode.
- Once in TWRP recovery, take a backup of your current ROM. Select Backup, then do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once the backup is finished, select Wipe, then do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install.
- Navigate to the file where you saved your ROM’s zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
Your device will now reboot with Android 5.1 update, thanks to SOKP custom ROM.
In case you need any help over this, let us know. And, you can thank the developer ashwin007 for this.