The AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is all set on the launchpad once again as MIUI, one of the most famous custom ROMs for Android is finally out for it. MIUI, with its unique UI and features such as great themes support make it one beautiful custom ROM worth trying out, and now the Skyrocket owners can finally do that.
Being developed by XDA member iandr0idos, the MIUI ROM for the Skyrocket, based on Gingerbread, is in its early stages and is NOT suitable for daily use as of 28th February 2012, so keep that in mind before you decide to try it out. There are quite a lot of bugs and not-working stuff.
Well, time to skyrocket into the procedure for flashing MIUI on the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number i727. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → iandr0idos
- Mobile Network may or may not work. Your phone might need to be unlocked for it to work.
- Camera does not yet work.
- In-call audio does not work. One workaround may be to leave the GPS on and reboot.
- Wifi sometimes gives an error.
- Important! A rooted Galaxy S2 Skyrocket i727 with Clockworkmod recovery installed. You can use the guide → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to flash MIUI ROM on Galaxy S2 Skyrocket i727
- Download the latest version of MIUI ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the zip file you downloaded above to your internal sdcard (not the external microSD).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP+Volume Down+Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select “backup and restore” –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “wipe data/factory reset”. Then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. (This will not touch your SD cards so don’t worry).
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Then, browse to the file you transferred to the sdcard in step 2 and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
- After installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
Once the phone boots, it will be running MIUI ROM, Android version 2.3. To get back to a fully working firmware, you can always flash a stock firmware using Odin. Follow the original development page to track the progress on the ROM and to get the latest updates on it. Share your thoughts in the comments.