ASUS has been on a roll lately – after releasing the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean updates for both the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T and the Transformer Pad TF300T, ASUS has now begun rolling out the update to the latter’s 3G variant, the Transformer Pad TF300TG, and has made the full ROM for the update available for download.
Android 4.2 brings quite a few new features and improvements – multi-user support for up to 4-user accounts, DayDream screen saver mode for when the device is docked or on charging, parental lock support, new camera interface, lockscreen wallpaper and widgets support, Miracast wireless display connectivity, and general performance improvements (especially when switching between apps.) Also, there are updates to the App Locker, Virtual Keyboard, Lock Screen and Setup Wizard apps from ASUS.
In case you haven’t received the over-the-air Android 4.2 update yet, you can follow our step-by-step guide to install the update manually. It’s a rather easy procedure, and the best way to update if you’re not willing for the update to automatically show up on your tablet .
So get your Transformer Pad out and continue reading to find out how you can update it to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean.
This procedure is compatible only with the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG, the 3G-enabled variant of the Transformer Pad TF700. Do not try it on the Wi-Fi-only model, nor on any other device.
- Make sure your tablet is running a completely unmodified stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM, version 10.4.4.25, which can be confirmed from the Settings » About tablet menu. If your tablet is rooted, that’s fine, but otherwise there should be no changes made to system files, or the update might fail to install.
- You’ll need a microSD card to install the update. The internal storage cannot be used.
- Make sure your tablet is adequately charged – a minimum of 50% is recommended.
How to Update Transformer Pad TF300TG to Android 4.2.1
- Check your device’s SKU through the following procedure.
- On the tablet, go into Settings » About tablet. Then, check the Build number.
- If the build number starts with “HK”, your SKU is HK. Similarly, if your build number starts with “WW”, you must download the firmware for the WW SKU. Likewise for the US SKU.
- Now that you have checked the SKU version of your tablet, download the corresponding update file from the links below. The update is currently available for the WW and TW SKU.
- WW Update | Alternate Link (452MB)
- TW Update | Alternate Link (467MB)
- Extract the downloaded update file once to obtain another .zip file. Copy this newly obtained .zip file (don’t extract it) to the root folder of your microSD card (root folder means the outermost part of the microSD card, don’t put it inside any folder.)
- Turn off the tablet completely. Then, turn it on and wait till it has booted up completely. After a few minutes, you will receive a notification for a new update next to the clock in the status bar. Click on this notification, then follow the instructions to complete the update to Android 4.2.1.
That’s it, Android 4.2.1 should now be installed on your Transformer Pad TF300TG. Enjoy the new features and improvements!