Most of us like to keep NFC always enabled on our devices, even when we are very less likely to use the feature on a daily basis. Guess that’s because it’s really cool feature, and it hardly consumes battery for being activated.
However, for the Sony Xperia users, keeping NFC enabled is a pain to see because Sony sticks the NFC icon on Notification bar when it’s activated. Despite repeated requests by users to have the nagging icon removed from status bar, Sony is continuously doing it for more than 4 years now.
Anyway, if you happen to own a Xperia Z5 or Z5 Compact, you can remove the NFC icon from status bar with a simple edit to config.prop file on the device.
To be able to edit config.prop, you’ll need to be rooted though. If you’re not rooted, then (unfortunately) you’ve to keep peace with the NFC icon in status bar and live with it.
How to Remove NFC Icon from Status bar on Xperia Z5
Root access required
- Download/install ES File Explorer app on your device.
- Open ES File explorer and enable root access on it.
- Go to /oem/system-properties directory on your Xperia device and open the config.prop file.
- Change the value of ro.nfc.icon.enable to false from true. It should look like this after edit:
- Save the config.prop after making changes.
- Reboot your Xperia device.
That’s it. If you changed the values right, you shouldn’t see the NFC icon appear in status bar anymore.
Tip: Although the trick to remove NFC icon from notification bar is tested on Xperia Z5 only, but it should work on other Sony Xperia devices as well.
Featured image credit: Droid life