As some of you might know, the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 recently got a port of the leaked Galaxy S2 Skyrocket Ice Cream Sandwich UCALC4 firmware. Now, based on that port, XDA developer jim93 has come up with the ICS Megamix ROM, which brings along a cool mod that gives you 14 toggles in the notification bar. Also, it removes some of the AT&T bloatware preloaded in the UCALC4 firmware.
Keep in mind that the ROM is based on a leaked firmware and is in the beta stage, so expect bugs and issues to be present in the ROM. Also, make sure to follow each and every instruction given below in order to install the ROM on your phone, as it’s the recommended procedure quoted by the developer of the ROM.
Read on to find out how you can install ICS Megamix ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. It’s not compatible with any other device, including other US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, and AT&T Galaxy S2 along with Skyrocket. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Developer → jim93
- Important! A T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. You can install CWM recovery by following the guide → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install ICS Megamix ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Download the DarkSide Super Wipe file:
Download Link | Filename: DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip
- Transfer the zip files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Restore your backup using the restore option when needed. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip on the next screen. After it completes, go back to the main recovery menu by selecting go back.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file (downloaded in step 1) on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- Go back to main recovery menu after ROM finishes installing, then repeat steps 6 and 7 again.
- Now, repeat step 10.
- After the ROM installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- After the phone boots up, complete the basic setup like adding your Google account, etc., then reboot the phone.
That’s it. Enjoy the ICS Megamix 4.0.3 ROM with the 14 Notification Bar Toggles mod on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.