Even though the Galaxy S5 was Samsung’s flagship, its eccentric design ended up giving it a band-aid-ish feel much to the dislike of many Samsung loyalists who were waiting for an all metal device to come out.
Setting the smartphone design aside, the Galaxy S5 featured top grade specifications. This was more than enough to get developers to start working on custom ROMs for the device. And thanks to their hard work, we now get to see the Android 7.1.1 Nougat based Lineage OS 14.1 on the Galaxy S5. With this custom ROM you can take your device beyond the realms of touch wiz and also see more gains in battery life and performance.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Lineage OS
Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900F; Codename: klte)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900I; Codename: kltekdi)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G9006, SM-G9008, SM-G9009; Codename: kltechn)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S; Codename: kltekor)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900P; Codename: kltespr)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900R4; Codename: klteusc)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900V; Codename: kltevzw)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900M; Codename: kltedv)
- Lineage 14.1: Download link (Model No. SM-G900FD; Codename: klteduos)
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on Galaxy S5
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Galaxy S5.
- Boot your Galaxy S5 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Galaxy S5 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- If you want root for apps, download and flash the root addon zip file as well.
- Once you’re done flashing all required files, reboot your Galaxy S5.
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S5.