The Samsung Galaxy S4 was a huge improvement over the Galaxy S3 which served as a very important stepping stone in the history of Android smartphones. Featuring 2GB of RAM, the Exynos 5410 processor and a 1080p 5-inch display, the S4 took performance to a new level.
With Lineage OS you can expect a lot more performance and optimized battery life than you had with stock Jelly Bean. Let’s not forget that Lineage OS will also bring you to the latest version of Android out there.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Galaxy S4 Lineage OS
- Official build: Available, check the download link below:
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on S4
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your S4 .
- Boot your S4 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your S4 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your S4 .
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your Galaxy S4.