The Galaxy Note 8 tablet from Samsung was an extension of the famous Galaxy Note 2 smartphone. The tablet featured the same processor found on the Note 2 (Exynos 4412), same 2GB of RAM and a slightly higher resolution display.
And on top of that, the tablet was released seven months after the Note 2 too. Having said that, the developers would have found it easy to port a custom ROM from the Note 2 to the Note 8 easily. With the Nougat based Lineage OS 14.1, you will be able to customize your device beyond normal themes found on the play store.
You should also see significant increases in performance and battery life with Lineage OS. Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Lineage OS
- Official build: Available, check the download link below:
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on Galaxy Note 8
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Galaxy Note 8 .
- Boot your Galaxy Note 8 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Galaxy Note 8 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your Galaxy Note 8 .
That’s all there is. Lineage OS is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy Note 8.