The first generation Moto E from Motorola was a humble budget device. Thanks to its low price and Motorola’s assurance of updates, it sold very well.
On the outside the Moto E was simply plain looking, bulky and small. Looks aside, the Moto E was a solid performer. There wasn’t any bloatware on the device and it ran smoothly. But due to the 4GB internal storage limitation, the user wasn’t able to install any demanding applications or store too much data without an SD card.
Thanks to its popularity, this tiny device was made to perform over its money’s worth. With the help of various developers out there, it is now possible to run Nougat based Lineage OS 14.1.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Moto E Lineage OS
Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link
Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
- Root addon package: Download Link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on Moto E
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Moto E.
- Boot your Moto E into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto E in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- If you want root for apps, download and flash the root addon zip file as well.
- Once you’re done flashing all required files, reboot your Moto E.
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your Moto E.