A new custom CyanogenMod 7.2 ROM has come out for the Galaxy Ace – called CM7.2 S III Mod – which is themed like the Galaxy S3’s TouchWiz 5 interface and also includes icons, wallpapers, home launcher, sounds, a few widgets, and more from the Galaxy S3.
Underneath the theming you get the amazing CM7 ROM based on Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread, which features fast performance and a plethora of customization options for tweaking the interface. Keep in mind though that this is not an official Samsung ROM and may have small bugs/issues in it and might not have the apps found in stock ROMs.
So, let’s take a look at how CM7.2 S III Mod ROM can be installed on the Galaxy Ace.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy Ace, model number S5830. It may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM7.2 S III Mod ROM on Galaxy Ace
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery/any custom recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Power Off your Galaxy Ace. Wait for 5-6 seconds until you feel the vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Then, press and hold these 2 buttons together: ‘Home+Power’ till the Galaxy Ace logo shows up on-screen. The phone will boot into CWM recovery soon enough.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will only erase installed apps and settings, but will leave your personal SD card files intact).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into CM7.2 S III Mod ROM.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM if needed, boot into recovery (as given in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM7.2 S III Mod ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy Ace. Visit the development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.
You can also try out a Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM for the Galaxy Ace → here.