Rooted your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 and wondering where to go next? The next step after rooting usually involves trying out various custom ROMs, and installing those custom ROMs needs a custom recovery like ClockworkMod, which can now be installed on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2. Apart from installing custom ROMs, ClockworkMod recovery also allows making ROM backups, wiping data from the device, and more.
Follow the guide below to install ClockworkMod recovery on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with international AT&T Galaxy Note 2. It’s not compatible with other US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on AT&T Galaxy Note 2
- Download and install the software Kies on your computer, which will install the necessary drivers for the phone.
You can also download the drivers directly — download from here: 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
- Download CWM recovery.
Download Link | Filename: cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5
- Download Odin. If you are new to this, Odin is what is used to flash stuff – firmware, kernels, etc. – on Samsung phones. We’ll use Odin to flash the CWM recovery file obtained in step 2.
Download Odin3 v3.04 | Filename: Odin3_v3.04.zip
- Extract the contents of the Odin3_v3.04.zip file to a folder on your computer. You should obtain a total of 4 files after extracting it.
- Turn off your phone and wait for it to shut down completely.
- Then, put the phone into download mode. To do so, press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Home + Power till the screen turns on. Then press Volume Up to enter download mode.
- Open Odin by double-clicking on the Odin3 v3.04.exe file obtained in step 4 after extracting Odin3_v3.04.zip.
- Important! Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added !!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left.
- If you don’t get this message, make sure you installed drivers correctly (using Kies or directly) as given in step 1. If it still doesn’t work, try changing to another USB port on the computer and also use the USB ports on the back if you have a desktop PC.
- Click on the PDA button in Odin, then browse to and select the cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5 file obtained in step 4 above.
- Do not make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required files as given in step 9. Leave all other options as they are. Make sure Re-Partition check box is not selected.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing CWM recovery on the phone. When the flashing is complete, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin.
- What to do if Odin gets stuck: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do the following – disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, and do the procedure again from Step 6.
- To try out ClockworkMod recovery, turn off your phone (make sure it is disconnected), then press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, after which the phone will boot into CWM recovery in a few seconds. In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select options.
ClockworkMod recovery is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2. Do let us know how it works.