With Ice Cream Sandwich being the flavor of the season, although most tablets out there have not received an official update as yet, the development on Honeycomb, or Android 3.0 seemed to have slowed down a bit. It’s encouraging to see Honeycomb custom ROMs coming out now and then, especially for devices as popular as the Galaxy Tab 10.1″.
XDA developer scrosler has just released a custom Honeycomb ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1″ GT-P7510 WiFi . It’s called CleanROM 1.2, and is based on Samsung stock firmware version HTJ85B.UEKMP, Android 3.2 Honeycomb. It’s designed to be a cleaned up ROM, devoid of all bloatware, making it a lean, fast and stable ROM.
Have a look at the features:
- Performance and battery enhancements
- Removed Samsung bloat apps!
- ROM will reboot automatically when install is complete
- File Manager HD
- Antutu CPU Master
- Hulu Plus
- Fast Reboot
- Xoom Browser
- Zip Aligned
- All Non stock apps can be removed!
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only with Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi edition with no 3G), model number GT-P7510. Don’t try this on Galaxy Tab 10.1 with 3G. Also, it’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About Tablet
- Rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Clockworkmod recovery installed.
- Fully Charged Battery
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guidewould help you. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you, after installing the rom. And if you are using a rooted phone, you can save application’s data too, using Titanium backup (free app on android market) to backup apps with apps with data. Use the same app again to restore those apps with data.
How To Install CleanROM 1.2 on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1″ GT-P7510
- Download the CleanROM zip file (link provided above) to your PC
- Transfer the zip file to your tablet’s internal sdcard. Remember the location of file on sdcard.
- Disconnect the tablet from PC. Power it off — wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode — press and hold (until you see two options) both Power and Volume down keys. Press Volume Down key to move your selection recovery mode’s icon and press Volume Up select the recovery mode.
- [Optional] Make a backup of your current Rom from “Backup and Restore” option in CWM
- Now Perform a Full Wipe. First Select wipe data/factory reset and then Yes–Wipe Data on the next screen
- Then Select Wipe cache partition, and then Yes–Wipe Cache on the next screen
- Go to Advanced, and Select Wipe dalvik cache, and then Yes–Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Come back to main screen and select install zip from sd card » choose zip from sd card(or internal sdcard, if that works) » browse through sdcard and select the CleanROM zip file you transferred in step 2 above. Select Yes on next screen.
- This will begin the flashing of CleanROM on your Galaxy Tab 10.1. You’ll be back to recovery mode.
- Go back and select Reboot system now, to restart the tablet.
- Upon restart, your Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be running the light and fast CleanROM 1.2
Go ahead and try it out, and tell us about your experience in comments below.