The Asus Zenfone Max was company’s answer to users seeking for a device with awesome battery, that didn’t cost a lot. While we you couldn’t expect Asus to support the device with major software updates like Android 8.0 Oreo now, you would love to know that the latest Android OS update in 8.0 is available as an aftermarket firmware for the device. The device was launched with Android 5.0.1, and has seen updates to Android 5.1.1 and Android 6.0.1, which is where its update cycle stops. We would say it deserves Nougat update, but hell, we know it’s got very slim chances of getting Android 7.0 now.
Well, yes, thanks to LineageOS 15.0 custom ROM, which is based on Android 8.0, and is now available for the ZenFone Max, users of this handset can have a taste of Oreo update right away. The ZenFone Max is neither the first, nor the only Asus device to get Android 8.0 as a custom ROM, as it was only yesterday that ZenFone Max Laser and Selfie LineageOS 15.0 ROM was made available too.
Asus ZenFone Max LineageOS 15.0 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
How to Install the LineageOS 15.0 on Asus ZenFone Max
Note: You need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device for this. For help with that, check out this page.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your ZenFone Max.
- Boot your ZenFone Max into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your ZenFone Max in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your ZenFone Max.