The international GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus got officially updated to Android 4.0.4 but the CDMA Verizon variant was left out of the loop and will be getting the update at a later date. But those who don’t want to wait for the official update to happen and want to try out Android 4.0.4 right now can do so by flashing the AOSP Android 4.0.4 ROM on their Verizon Galaxy Nexus, released by RootzWiki developer birdman.
The Android 4.0.4 update brings stability improvements, better camera performance, smoother screen rotation, improved phone number recognition and more, so it’s surely a much welcome update that will improve the already excellent Galaxy Nexus software even further.
Read on to find out how you can install the AOSP Android 4.0.4 ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus (CDMA), model number i515. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Important! A Verizon CDMA Galaxy Nexus i515 with Clockworkmod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD card, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
How to Install AOSP Android 4.0.4 on Verizon Galaxy Nexus
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
- Also download the Superuser fix package (for proper root access on the ROM).
Download Link | Filename: Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1, 2 and 3 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do this, press the following keys together: Power + Volume Up and Down. You will enter Fastboot mode. Here, press Volume Up twice till you see Recovery selected, then press Power button to boot into recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select backup and restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and do the following:
- Repeat step 8 but select the gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package. After it finishes installing, go back to main recovery menu.
- Again repeat step 8, but this time select the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file to install the Superuser fix. After it finishes installing, go back to main recovery menu.
- Now select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot into the ROM.
You have successfully updated your Verizon Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0.4 with AOSP Android 4.0.4. Share your thoughts on how the ROM works out for you, in the comments below.