Here’s some more love for the Verizon Galaxy S3 from the XDA development community. Aristodemos ROM – based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich – is a new ROM that has come out for the device. The ROM is basically a stock ROM but with added features, and is also themed for a pure Android look (i.e no TouchWiz). It’s a hybrid of TouchWiz and AOSP, with all TouchWiz features intact but with AOSP look and feel.
“Also try Jelly Bean Android 4.1 custom ROMs for the Verizon Galaxy S3 → here.”
Here are some of the features Aristodemos ROM includes:
- Extended power menu
- Call recording
- Battery bar
- Bluetooth tethering, unrestricted Wi-Fi Tethering
- Status bar 15-toggles mod
- Inverted apps
- AOSP Gallery and Lockscreen
Now, let’s go ahead and look at the procedure for installing the ROM on the Verizon Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the Verizon Galaxy S3, model number SCH-i535. It’s not compatible with other US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Aristodemos ROM on Verizon Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- [Important!] Unlock the bootloader on your phone by following this guide. This is necessary and will void your phone’s warranty, however it can be relocked when needed to get warranty back.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Copy the ROM’s file to the internal SD card. Do not extract it.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into Aristodemos ROM.
Be patient as the first boot of the ROM can take some time, up to 5-7 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (the same way you did in step 7), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Aristodemos ROM is now installed and running on your Verizon Galaxy S3. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.