With the Android 4.0 update for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 having been released by Samsung only recently, there’s no telling when and if the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update will come for the device, so those looking to get the latest version of Android on their Tab 7.7 have no choice but to look at custom ROMs right now. Thankfully, the development community has them covered in that case.
The Android 4.1 based Nexness ROM has been released for the Galaxy Tab 7.7, by XDA Senior Member DakiX, which brings everything from Jelly Bean – a smooth, reactive and fluid interface, actionable and expandable notifications, smart and accurate keyboard, a new Google Search experience, intuitive camera and gallery, and many more features and improvements – to the tablet. Nexness ROM also adds a lot of tweaks for better performance and battery life, while also featuring some useful customization options.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM. It’s a custom ROM that is under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some things may not work properly and some stock Samsung ROM features will not be available.
Let’s take a look at how Nexness Pro ROM can be installed on the Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Wi-Fi+3G variant, model number P6800. It’s not compatible with the P6810 or any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Nexness Pro ROM on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your tablet.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Power keys together. Once the tablet turns on, let go of power button but keep holding Volume Up button till the tablet boots into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After Gapps finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into Nexness Pro ROM.
Nexness Pro ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 7.7. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also try out CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM for the Galaxy Tab P6800 → here.