Amazon isn’t that well known as an Android OEM, but when they launched the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 back in 2013, it packed in the best of specifications. Running on the Snapdragon 800 with 2GB of RAM and an 8.9 inch 2560×1600 display it quickly earned its spot in the top 10.
The main noticeable difference in the tablet is the OS it runs on. Amazon’s Fire OS isn’t an Android skin as you might have come to think, but it basically runs on Android source code. And with this OS Amazon includes its famous Firefly app which integrates scanning product of QR codes to buy them quickly from none other than, you guessed it, Amazon.com. Fire OS also doesn’t include any Google apps.
So the Amazon Fire HDX hasn’t really ever seen any version of Android, but that didn’t stop the devs over at XDA from taking advantage of such amazing hardware found on the Fire HDX.
With that said, an unofficial build of Lineage OS 14.1 is available for the tablet giving the device tons of customization options and increases in performance too. This gives Fire HDX owners the chance to experience the latest and best iteration of Android.
Being an unofficial build, the custom ROM will come with many bugs and minor issues. These issues would be ironed out in future releases though, as is often the case with custom ROMs.
The official release should be out pretty soon once the Lineage team have fully completed the transition from CyanogenMod to Lineage OS.
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Lineage OS
- Official build: Not yet available.
- Unofficial builds: Available, check the download links below:
- Lineage OS 14.1: Download link
- Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS.
How to Install Lineage OS on Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 .
- Boot your Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 .
And voila! Lineage OS is now installed on your Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (apollo).